Position Summary: The Sanitation Manager is responsible for the effective cleaning and maintaining of the entire processing, packaging, and warehouse areas to ensure the plants are kept in a clean and healthy condition.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Ensures compliance with all company and regulatory product quality standards, sanitation standards, food safety standards, employee safety and environmental standards.
- Creates a work environment that reflects a commitment to protecting the health and safety of employees, food safety and quality of products.
- Enforces GMP’s and implements HACCP processes and procedures.
- Maintains inventory of sanitation chemicals and supplies.
- Trains staff on proper usage of sanitation chemicals.
- Prepares reports regarding inspections, sanitation violations, and corrective actions taken.
- Works closely with management and production personnel on sanitation problems.
- Ensures that the plant is cleaned daily and ready to start production on time.
- Recommends changes to improve sanitation policies, procedures and standards.
- Monitors completed sanitation tasks and cleanliness of plant.
- Ensures safety awareness for chemical handling and equipment operation with Tag out Lock out training
- Coordinates with maintenance or others as appropriate to solve sanitation-related problems.
- Investigates all issues and apply corrective actions as needed.
- Participates in audits, facility inspections and coordinate pre-operational inspection with Refrigeration Management.
- Hires, trains, coaches, schedules, disciplines, evaluates, and supervises all technicians and other personnel within a team environment daily.
- Creates and maintains a positive working environment to promote employee morale and productivity.
- Conducts employee investigations and mediates employee issues and complaints.
- Focuses on Continuous Improvement. Looks for ways to improve current processes and procedures, to reduce cost and increase efficiency.
- Evaluates practices, procedures, equipment and facility to detect and report any unsafe conditions that require immediate corrective action to ensure a safe working environment for all employees.
- Assists in accident investigations to discover root causes.
Problem Solving- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem-solving situation. Identifies, collects, and organizes data for analysis and decision making
Staff Management– Ensures staff have the skills and resources to get things done. Provides staff with coaching, training, and opportunities for growth to improve their skills. Gives staff ongoing, constructive feedback on their performance and progress in light of expectations and goals. Holds timely discussions and performance reviews.
Business Acumen– Understands business implications of decisions
Accountability & Dependability– Takes personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of work and achieves results with little oversight.
Strategic Thinking– Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals
Judgment– Displays willingness to make decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgement; supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process; makes timely decisions.
Thoroughness– Adopts procedures to ensure high-quality of work.
Decision Making– Makes timely, informed decisions that take into account the facts, constraints, and risks
Communication– Gives and receives constructive feedback.
Initiative– Does more than is normally required in a situation. Recognizes situations that warrant initiative and moves forward without hesitation; reasonably resolves issues, problems, or situations.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture or Science related field
- High School Diploma or GED with experience
- 7 years of sanitation experience in a food manufacturing environment,
- 2+ years of supervisory experience, and other training or certification may be substituted for education.
Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Experience with third party regulatory agencies such as AIB, Silliker, Primus GFS, SQF California Department of Food and Agriculture, FDA, Davis Fresh, SAI Global Audit scheme preferred.
- Knowledge of the GMP, HACCP and Environmental sanitation program is preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of handling various chemicals used in the sanitation process
- Excellent people management and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or similar software
- Must be able to work in a climate that varies in temperature including working outdoors in all weather conditions
- Reports to: VP of Manufacturing
- Supervisory responsibilities may include: Oversees the Sanitation Department
- Status: Exempt
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee may be driving cars, trucks, forklifts, or other equipment. This position will be exposed to adverse weather conditions. The employee may need to walk on uneven ground, work near equipment or machinery. The noise level that is typical of this work environment is moderate.
Must be willing to work a flexible schedule that includes nights, weekends, and holidays; this is critical to support the needs of the business and is subject to change.